camLine has been offering its software and services globally for more than 25 years. They provide software solutions for manufacturing industries, a way to track and manage all things part of large-scale manufacturing process.
CamLine addresses discrete, continuous, and mixed forms of manufacturing. These industry-specific deployments focus on advanced strategies to improve process quality and process security, executive manufacturing logistics, and manufacturing efficiency.



The Challenge

The first challenge in the project was the short timeline dedicated to product design. camLine was looking for a minimum-impact approach to updating both the UI and UX for their main app suite that will not require major retraining of all their customers. Given the complexity of the product, in order to come up with usability improvements, I had to first fully understand the existing functionality and flows.

 

 

Workshop

Before starting any work we held a two-day, in person, workshop with a mix of roles from the client’s side: CEO, several tech leads, UX designer; and from our side: me as UI designer, PM and a tech lead. The goal was to make the most of the access to the main people involved and extract insights about how the app works and what value it brings to the users. In closing, we were able to identify the flow with the highest impact in the given time and outlined a list of screens that we’ll focus on.

 

 

 

 

Sketching

I started to sketch concepts on paper, the fastest way to bring ideas to light and validate them. I used these as a midway point to show the functionality improvements
 sketches_camline

 


Wireframing

After discussions and feedback over the sketches, I was able to define the functionality and structure of the main screens. This is where I split the work into stories estimated in ideal-hour effort. Which were then grouped into one-week sprints. Each sprint had a start of the week planning session with the stakeholders, a mid week sync in which I presented the progress as well as clarified any uncertainties I had discovered till then. Then, at the end of the sprint, I had a demo video conference with the stakeholders in which I presented the outcome and the thought-process behind it.

Dashboard and Dashboard Editor
A lot of flexibility was needed here, based on each use case there could just be a need of a simple 6×2 grid of graphs and tables and up to a 20×20 grid if the dashboard was displayed on a large screen on the factory floor

 



Sidebar Navigation and Filtering
Due to the large number of data collected it became clear that a way to provide the functionality to filter and to drill-down into the different data types was needed and this needed to be hidden after the criteria was set – based on the way the options from these two sidebars were used a different result is shown in an omnipresent two-column side menu.

 





Final Outcome